Should You Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Bowling Green?
In various ways, smart devices like surveillance equipment and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We have the ability to receive alerts if someone comes up our front steps, and we can even have video clips delivered to us when questionable activity is detected. Having components we may access over the internet advises us to developing hazards instantaneously. But there is one main disadvantage. The simple access that benefits us is also creating a pathway for virtual intrusions.
Even though you don’t have to get yourself in a panic agonizing over smart home hacking in Bowling Green, you ought to be aware of the potential safety issue and take action to steer clear of it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
Just about anything can be joined to the internet these days - your home security components, smart lights, and even your refrigerator. The drawback is that this produces more avenues for virtual villains to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to forgo wireless home protection packages or other smart appliances. Alternatively, follow these suggestions and do what you can to keep invaders out of your network.
- Use hard-to-crack passwords: This is a requirement for every account, and that includes your home Wi-Fi. Use lower and upper casing and a mix of letters, special characters, and numbers. Stay away from dates of birth, full words, or anything else hackers may easily figure out. A password generator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password manager may aid you in keeping tabs on your different accounts and passwords.
- Update default settings: When you first unbox that new router, it will probably come with a standard password to get you started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers are likely to be aware of these default passwords too. Establishing your private network and new router correctly in the beginning will go a long way to maintaining your security.
- Create more than one network: Why have your smart fridge, your security devices, and your work laptop on one network? Most routers will let you create a separate guest network. Be sure to use it and safeguard important information found on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for business settings. They may also be incorporated into your personal network. Firewalls will keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and thwart questionable activity. You can opt for a router with an incorporated firewall.
- Choose the most up-to-date encryption standards and security protocols: If you own a recently manufactured router, you will likely be able to incorporate WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You need to install home security components that protect with 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Make sure software and firmware is current: Keep your firmware and software on the most recent version for all devices, which includes your integrated video cameras. In some cases, these updates will address known issues and bolster your network’s security.
Beware of Shoddy Smart Home Components In Bowling Green
Leading companies like ADT and Amazon have reputations to uphold and will take steps to fix a security bug in their equipment. Other off-the-shelf products might not act in the same fashion. Getting your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and other items from a lone source like ADT is a wise choice. And deciding to have all of your equipment connected simultaneously will help ensure proper implementation, security, and performance. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, employs two-way encryption when communicating with your integrated devices.
Design Your Own Bowling Green Home Security System
As you now have more knowledge on how to keep your wireless network safe from cyber criminals, It’s the right moment to begin designing your own smart home security system in Bowling Green. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to customize the ideal package for your home. Call (270) 262-8554 or submit the form to get started.